Friday, May 27, 2011

Two Months Down.....and I'm still not done!



Okay, time to reveal what I have done on my banister so far!  Its kinda sad to think that I have been working on this baby for two whole months and I don't even have the whole thing done yet.  But, I am still VERY proud of myself.  I have done EVERY LITTLE THING all by MYSELF!

Okay, so this is how the banister started out.  Just a bright orange color....not my taste :)



I sanded the WHOLE thing down.  Actually, not the whole thing, just the left side of it.  It took me over 8 hours and I was getting so impatient that I decided to start staining, rather than sand down the other little side.  I know, that was kinda dumb of me but I was ready to see some progress!



I chose a dark walnut stain.  I didn't realize it would take me two months to get the stain dark enough!  The original color was so bright that it took me about eight coats to get it dark enough to cover up the orange. I had to wait two days between each coat because it was still sticky and wouldn't go on smooth if I didn't wait until it was completely dry.


After the first coat

After the second coat

After the third coat
One really discouraging thing that happened was once I got it as dark as I wanted, the instructions I was following told me to use a fine sandpaper at about 220 to go over the whole banister to get the air bubbles out.  Well 220 was definitly NOT fine enough and it took off my stain and you could see orange coming through again.  I was so discouraged! I had to stain it a few more times after that and then sand it down with a 600 grain paper. Then I covered it in a satin polyurathane finish and sanded that down.

Then I didn't take any pictures after the next few coats.  This was probably after 8 coats

I was now ready to tape off the stairs and the wall and prime and paint the spindles and the base.


And here is the finished product!!  Well sorta, I still have to do the other side and up the stairs. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  How bout you?

Another note, notice in the pictures above where I was just starting out you can see that my entryway was still white walls with orange baseboards.  We have since painted the whole first floor in Antique White by Behr and ripped out all the baseboards and trim and replaced them with thick white baseboards.  Click on the photos to see them larger!  Do you like it?  Kinda funny that you can see where I stopped painting next to the banister.  I'm excited to get started on the upstairs once I finish this banister.  I really have to learn to finish one project before I move onto the next :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Lookin' good! I love how every single coat on the bannister made such a difference. That dark coffee color is gorgeous!

Kelli Haub said...

Love it. It is crazy though how a project that seems so simple to begin with always takes FOREVER.

Megan Marie said...

that looks soo good! it's crazy how something so small can make a huge difference! although it didn't seem like a small project! stuff like that always seems fun to me then once i start an realized how long it'll take me i think ummm why did i do this! ie painting!

Todd Family said...

I know how that is. We remodeled my in laws family room. They had about 100 spindles (at least) on their stairs. No one wanted to stain it, but I knew it would make a complete difference, so i took the project on my own. Sanded the whole thing. I worked somedays from 3pm to 5am the next morning to get it down. and it was the same thing...from walnut to spanish oak which was like a blackish color. It looks absolutely amazing...completely different, but of course, I'm the only ones that see the imperfections...but, considering that project would have cost them thousands and thousands...it definitely makes me feel a little better!! good job...it definitely looks a lot better!!

Liz Smith said...

GASP!!!!! it looks SOO GOOD!!!!! i seriously may have to straight up copy you and do the same to my banister. i hope you don't mind me stealing your idea! great job!!!!

PAUL + ALICIA+CAPRI said...

I cant believe you did that all by yourself! I would have quit!! It looks so good! That made such a difference! I bet its fun to have projects like that to make your house feel more homey!

Ashley said...

Great job! It really looks so good. I love the dark finish! I can't wait to see it all finished up!

Abrahao said...

Korinne you are seriously amazing. You can do anthything! I am super impressed with...well everyhthing you do really! You and your family are so cute. I wish we lived closer so I could see you guys...thank goodness for your blog I love love seeing what you are up to. You are such a cute Mom and an amazing crafter...artist really. Love ya

Emily said...

you are incredible!! what a HUGE project! i love the new color, but i don't know if i could have done all that work :) i'm excited to see other changes you've made/are making!